Thursday, June 30, 2011

{Red Velvet} - Recipe Swap Thursday

Time to get back into the swing of things, So I'm linking up with the blog Prairie Story today for Recipe Swap Thursday! With Canada Day just around the corner July 1st to be exact I have decide to try my hand at making red velvet cupcakes with a white vanilla icing. Seems like a pretty perfect Canadian cupcake red and white!

I went out and bought myself some fancy new supplies for this recipe. I bought a sifter, portable cupcake tray, some icing tips and icing bags!



For this recipe you will need:

-2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt
-1 tsp cocoa powder
-1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
-1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
-2 large eggs room temperature
-2 tbsp red food coloring
-1 tsp white distilled vinegar
-1 tsp vanilla extract

Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees, and line cupcake pan with liners

In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.


Divided the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, turning the pans once halfway through. Remove from the oven and cool completely before frosting.


4 comments:

  1. Oh these look delish! I've never made red velvet, and now I think it's time! Thanks for linking up!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! Red Velvet has a different texture than any cupcake I have ever tasted, which I dind't know about until I made these! It sounds kind of weird but they have a chewy outside and a moist inside...weird but surprisingly tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious -- what is Canada Day celebrating? Is it your Independence Day or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A simple way to put it...It's Canada's Birthday!! lol

    ReplyDelete