Wednesday, August 10, 2011

{Tutorial by Earl}

Hi y’all! I’m Earl-Leigh and I have a little blog where I talk about random events in my life and sewing. I’m so psyched that Dallas is allowing me to guest post on her wonderful blog today!
 Some of you are about to cringe, but as an honorary Christmas Elf…I’m here to give a quick tutorial on a DIY owl ornament. Christmas is my favorite time of the year so I’m getting a jump start on this year’s handmade ornaments! The most fun aspect of this tutorial is that you can sew along with me or use glue (either fabric glue or hot glue) so that any little ones can help with your guidance. See instructions at the bottom if you do choose not to sew. If you do not want a woodland creature hanging from your tree or if you just don’t celebrate Christmas, you could use the tutorial and turn your ornaments into hood ornaments, lavender sachets or whatever else your creative brains come up with. Here goes!
What You’ll Need:
One 6 ½” x 8 1/2'” piece of pretty fabric or felt (I used felt)
Fabric Marker or Chalk
Scissors
Coffee Mug or Soup Can
Buttons
Thread
Needle
Glue
One- Hole Punch
One 8” to 12” Piece of Ribbon
Scrap Materials and Decorative Notions

Instructions:
1. Take your coffee mug or canned good and trace a circle onto a piece of cardstock or paper.
2. Draw two triangles on top of your circle and one on each side.  The second set of triangles will become your wings so you can be as fanciful or simple as you like.

                  
             After cutting initially, I decided to give my owl round wings
3.  Cut two of your owl shapes out. One will be the front and one will be the back.  

4. Take one of your cut outs to be decorated and put the other one to the side.

               
I used a scrap piece of fabric, roughly the size of a guitar pick, to make my wings
5. I cut circles from another piece of fabric and used buttons to make eyes.

               
6.  I then cut a piece of fabric to make a beak.

               
7. Once satisfied with the looks of your owl, put your two pieces together wrong sides facing. (meaning you will still be able to see your new buddy’s cute little face)
8. Using a blanket stitch, begin your stitches below the ear to your right. (here’s another link in case you prefer photos to video)
9. Stop sewing once you reach the other ear. Now its time for you to make him or her fluffy with the stuffing. Make it as fat as you like.
10. Put the ends of your ribbon together and make a knot. Now you’ll have one big loop.
                 
 Take your loop and insert the knotted end into the owl. Be sure to leave enough of your loop out to get a get a good hang.
11. Stitch the owl closed.

I glued a fuzzy chenille tummy on at the end
If you decide to glue, then you can just cut out one owl shaped piece of fabric. Decorate as you would like. Take the one-hole punch and punch a hole through the top of your new friend’s head (violent, I know). You’ll then insert your ribbon through the hole and volia!
I’m off to make a bunny now. If you have questions at any point, you can reach me at earlleighdesigns@gmail.com. Bye y’all!

Have you checked out our giveaways from Bibeez Baby and Marine Parents!

7 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial Earl!! So glad to have you on the blog!! I especially love the chenille you added :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dallas! I had so much fun making this little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earl, this is great! I've been wanting to make an owl pin cushion, even other types of characters. Thanks for sharing!

    Dallas, I already follow Earl which is how I discovered your blog...love it! I'm a follower now. :)

    Mandy
    http://www.firefliesandcattails.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to grab your second button, I think it's missing some of the code, I couldn't figure it out, so I grabbed the first one instead. Just thought I'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial! And you made it sound so easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ladies!! And Mandy I will look into the button issue....Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute project! i love owls.
    thanks for sharing, y'all!
    xo

    ReplyDelete